Electric blanket testing in Shropshire in Shrewsbury

A quarter of electric blankets were condemned as a dangerous fire safety risk in tests carried out in Shropshire last year, warned Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The brigade has again linked up with Shrewsbury’s RMW Electrical to offer free electric blanket tests in the county in September and October this year.

“Your electric blanket may appear safe especially if it is not very old but damage to the blanket is not always visible and this can lead to it catching fire,” warned Fire Safety Officer Alison Teece.

“I would appeal to people to take advantage and call us on 01743 260200 from September 22 to book a time slot for the free test. To avoid disappointment please book as soon as possible as there are only limited places available.”

She said that a quarter of electric blankets were condemned as a dangerous fire safety risk after they failed the same test last year.

Free blanket tests will be carried out at Louise House, Roman Road, Shrewsbury on September 30, Market Drayton Fire Station on October 1 and Ludlow Fire Station on October 2.

People unable to bring their blanket to the fire station should carry out their own safety checks.

• Check regularly for scorch marks or visual signs of damage.
• Don’t fold but roll an electric blanket.
• Never buy or use a second hand one.
• Don’t use a hot water bottle with an electric blanket
•  Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Always ensure you have working smoke alarms on each level of your home and test them weekly.

Anyone who would like more information can call Alison Teece at the Community Fire Safety department at Shrewsbury Fire HQ’s on 01743 260258 or visit www.shropshirefire.gov.uk  for fire prevention advice.

Section:

Pete White Pete White

Love Shrewsbury editor and chief developer at The Web Orchard, find out more on petejwhite.com

Read More from Pete White